Monday, November 19, 2007

Free Goodies (pt.1): Tissue Madness

In Japan, you never have to worry about a runny nose or a spilled drink when you're on the go. Walk past any major train station or busy intersection, there's bound to be someone stuffing free packs of tissue into your face, accompanied with a hurried yoroshiku onegaishimasu!(which literally means "thank you in advance!")

These tissues are actually little ads with a small flyer tucked inside the tissue pack. Surprisingly enough, I noticed that most local Japanese don't really accept them. Maybe because they already five free packs from some other eager company, or it could be the fact that the majority of these tissues contain ads recruiting for shady nightclubs and such.


Personally, I think it's a great way to promote something cheaply, without using digital media where ad space comes with a hefty price tag. I don't know exactly how effective this method of promotion is in terms of concrete numbers, but to me, attaching something useful gives an incentive for people to actually take the ads. It puzzles me why such advertising methods don't spread overseas. I know I'd really like some free tissue in New York.

For more, here's a blog entry that gives a great sum up of free tissue advertising in Japan.

No comments: